Monday 21 December 2015

21. Fighting my Fight

I wish I hadn’t been away from my Blog for so long. That partially defeats the objective of writing a Blog. If anyone is so kind to find the time to read what I write and then finds the time and perseverance (which I can only interpret as affection) to come back and check for updates, I should be considerate enough to provide more reading. Worse still, I have been writing in the meanwhile, quite a bit. Just have not posted it. The reason for not posting I suppose is the same that pushed me to shut down my Facebook account and stop posting on Instagram too: I have been and I am quite poorly and I felt like I needed more privacy around my pain and suffering. For now I am not changing my view on other social media which are full of 'noise' and unwanted holiday pictures of people who would not even call you before or after the holiday. However writing this Blog is certainly something which I started with a passion and feel strongly about, and never really meant to abandon. Also I know that the people who read this Blog really care for me and about me. So here I am writing a new short post, which is statement of intent. I want to make sure I say it loud and clear how much I want to stay alive for many years (but at the same time I also accept that this may not happen).

I have not posted anything here for over two months. In my defence I can only say that time flies, as we like to put it. Weeks come and go, one after the other at a fast speed. Bad times pass as quickly as good times. Days, weeks, months to come soon become yesterday, last week, last month. The future is soon the past. When I have a very bad day or I feel particularly upset I close my eyes and I tell myself that it will pass, it will soon pass. And it does. October marked the one-year anniversary since I was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer, namely metastatic malignant melanoma. One year since my life has been completely turned upside down, a year where I had to accept that my previous lifestyle will never come back, that I’ll have to hope and fight for an acceptable quality of life, at best.

I have no regrets as I have lived the first 38 years of my life to the fullest (that includes one year when I was already fighting cancer but before it metastasized and became very debilitating). I have travelled a lot, I have always said ‘yes' if I was invited somewhere and it was a matter of going out or staying at home. I have always gone through life with an open heart, have made amazing friends along my way, and I have had a lot of fun! I have also built a beautiful and accomplished life: I gained my university degrees in Naples and London, I learnt foreign languages, I moved abroad, I got reasonably good jobs in the City and achieved financial security for myself, a beautiful London flat which is currently my nest and hideaway place. I have loved and been loved a lot. I have had a lot of good sex, and some bad sex too. I found love on the other side of the Atlantic, and am living with the most amazing person on the planet, someone who never makes me fight for anything, never once upset me, but only adds beauty and easiness to my life. I felt like had everything. A cat included. Then it all changed so abruptly in October last year, and now it’s a matter of making the most of whatever quality of life I have. But one thing is clear to me. I intend to live with melanoma for as long as possible as a chronic condition, and not accept it as a death sentence. I will do whatever it takes to keep myself alive, as I love life too much to give it up, not for such a cruel disease. I realise that this may sound unfair towards those who lost their lives to melanoma, as they surely also loved their lives as much as I love mine. However I don't think I am being unfair as I know and accept that I may be proven wrong and walk away from this world within the next few months, or maybe a little longer. I am aware that I am just as human and fragile as anyone else affected by cancer. But this does not mean that I am not going to try to stay in this world for as long as I can. And keep writing my Blog too. 

20 comments:

  1. Hi Francesco, I'm glad to see your post even if the news are not so good. Keep in mind that maybe this chronic disease as you call it will be cured someday and you will live your life like any guy your age deserves. I'm very sorry for all you are fighting and wish you all the best. I hope you will enjoy the Christmas holidays nonostante (i know you are italian and I don't know the word in english...). My best wishes for you . (excuse my english I'm from Geneva and speak french)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Karima, thank you so much for your good words, they mean a lot to me. I wish you all the best from life, health, peace and joy. Hugs. xx

      Delete
  2. Sending you a huge hug. Brave Francesco. Keeping you in my mind all the time.
    Lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Esther, yo tambien te pienso, espero verte otra vez, cuando este un poco mejor. Estamos en contacto. Abrazos. Francesco

      Delete
  3. Francesco ,keep on blogging. You have a lot of genuine friends who really care on a certain site. We are supporting you all the way ,either bad or good,keep fighting the fight for all those who can't . Live well as you can and for many years to come. Stay strong my friend lots of love Karen x x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Karen, thank you, I know my friends are REAL including the ones made through the internet... I promise to stay strong. xxxxxx

      Delete
  4. Francesco, my friend, I think of you often and hope with all my heart that you WILL beat this beast. Sending you all my love.

    Tracy Wood xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tracy, I will do my best, you can count on that. I hope all is well with you. Much love. XX

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry Francesco. I hope this finds you feeling strong and knowing that people are praying for you. 💚Give that gorgeous kitty a hug for me. You WILL get through this. And here's something to help - 🍫🍷(Chocolate & wine always help make things a wee bit better)😉
    Thinking of you,
    Lisa (Lilbuso from your Instagram)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa, sorry for late reply and thanks for your sweet lovely words xxxxx :-)

      Delete
  6. Ciao Francesco. I am very sorry for your suffering... Remember I always keep praying for you and your lovely family❤️ There is a thing I want to send you which I asked my husband to got one for you when he went back to Italy last autumn.
    I'll be very happy if you reply me.
    Think of you from Japan.
    xoxo Hana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Hana, thanks for thinking about me. Things are quite hard now, and until some time ago, when I was living my happy life in London and Italy, I could have never imagined that this could happen to me. But I can only go ahead and pray and hope that I can overcome this huge enemy that is this horrible disease.
      I hope you are very well and life is good in Japan for you. Huge hugs. xxxx

      Delete
  7. I saw your post on. Instagram today, which led me to your blog. I don't know why I haven't checked your blog sooner. Although I don't know you personally I have followed your story for quite sometime. I am so pleased to read this post. I hope to see a new one.

    Best Wishes,
    Brittany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brittany, thank you for your words and for reading my blog. I hope you are well, take care of yourself always. Hugs. xx

      Delete
  8. Hi Francesco. Nice to read you again! Espero que escribir el blog contribuya a tu bienestar y al de loa demás, me gusta saber de ti. Besos enormes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Francesco, con Romualdo parliamo di te e di quello che stai passando. Non desidero essere retorico ed eviterò frasi fatte. Vorrei solo farti sapere che sei nei nostri pensieri, anche se noi due ci siamo visti solo una volta a Londra, ed in circostanze tristi. Direi che ho imparato a conoscerti proprio attraverso questo blog e, parzialmente, con Instagram, e per questo posso dirti di essere orgoglioso di averti conosciuto, augurandomi di poterti vedere presto, e offrirti la mia amicizia ed il mio affetto, a te ancora sconosciuti. Un abbraccio grande. A.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Un abbraccio forte, con il cuore ❤️ e la certezza di una vittoria meritata su questa battaglia che, con tanta energia e positività, stai conducendo da quel lontano ottobre 2014. A presto

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ps: ho appena comprato il libro di Melita Cavallo che hai suggerito su Insta,.. Inizio a leggerlo ora.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am 29 years old and have been diagnosed with breast cancer, ease of treatment and a similar story, except for my first acceptance as a rejection of herbal medicine. I was not part of the Perseid movement and did not really build relationships with any of them, I just believed in their operation. I say this because it was during the use of Dr. Itua herbal medicine that I now attest that herbal medicine is real, the phytotherapy Dr. Itua heal my breast cancer which I suffered for 2 years. Dr. Itua herbal medicine is made of natural herbs, with no side effects, and easy to drink. If you have the same breast cancer or any type of human illness, including HIV / AIDS, herpes,Ovarian Cancer,Pancreatics cancer,bladder cancer, prostate cancer,  Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Stroke,Autism,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,Brain cancer,Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Intestinal cancer,Kidney cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Multiple myeloma,Neuroendocrine tumors,Hodgkin lymphoma,Oral cancer,Ovarian cancer,Sinus cancer,,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Testicular cancer,Throat cancer,Thyroid Cancer,Uterine cancer,Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancer.psoriasis ,Tach Diseases,Lupus,Endomertil Cancer, cerebrovascular diseases,
    Dementia.lung cancer,skin cancer,testicular Cancer,Lupus, , LEUKEMIA, VIRUSES, HEPATITIS, INFERTILITY WOMEN / MAN,CONTACT EMAIL / WHATSAPP:  Or  drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ +2348149277967

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'M TOTALLY FREE FROM HEPATITIS B. FOR OVER 5 YEARS LIVING WITH  IT
     I’m Stephenie Brown, i was diagnosed with Hepatitis B 3 years ago, i lived in pain with the knowledge that i wasn’t going to ever be well again i contacted so many herbal doctors about herbs to cure me and ended up spending some amount of money but i never got better i was determined to get my lifestyle back and to be able to do things am restricted from doing so one day i saw a lady’s post on how Herbalist Dr. JAMES cured her  from Hiv virus with his herbal medicine. I contacted the same Doctor through his email....drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com....we spoke, i told him all that i was going through and he told me not to worry that everything will be more better again so he prepared a herbal medicine and send it to me through DHL courier company and told me the dosage,after 13 days of completing the herbal medicine,i was totally free from Hepatitis,so I went to see a doctor for a blood test ,After taking a sample of my blood for the test the result came out negative,i just can’t deny that i’m the most happiest woman on earth this very moment ,i’m so happy and thanks to Herbalist Doctor JAMES
    He also told me he cures  diseases   such as Melanoma ,Cancer,Weak Erection,Wart Remover,Hpv,Herpes,Fibromyalgia,Hiv,Hepatitis b,Liver/Kidney Inflammatory,Epilepsy,Infertility,Fibroid,Diabetes,Dercum,Copd,Back pain,Nephrotic syndrome,
     AND MORE contact him  on
    Email..... DRJAMESHERBALMIX@GMAIL.COM

    ReplyDelete