Thursday 17 September 2015

20. Waking Up to a Nightmare

I am sitting on the pavement of a busy street, people striding quickly past me in both directions. They take no notice of me. I do not look up, my head and my stare are still. All I see are people’s legs hurrying along their way. I don’t move. I can’t move. My heart is too heavy, my legs are too weak. I know I need help. I try saying something aloud to attract someone's attention, but all I can muster is a whisper that I can hardly hear myself. My voice has abandoned me too. I start weeping, gently for a while, but soon I give in to despair and start sobbing loudly. Yet the passers-by are still oblivious of me, busy as they are with pursuing their errands. They appear to be physically in the same place as me, but I am alone.

This scene cannot be real, I think to myself. These passers-by must have been superimposed onto my world by some sort of time-space error. Their hectic striding cannot be happening at the same time as my crying for help, else they would see me; one of them would. I am helpless. I lie down on the pavement in anguish. My face rests on the hard concrete, which has been kept warm by the pollution of the speeding cars. This hard, warm feeling against my cheek feels real though, so the scene must be real after all. I am really living it. My tears are profuse, they wet the pavement. My eyes are now closed. I lie there powerlessly.

Then the first stone hits me. I open my eyes in pain to realise that the passers-by have disappeared and I am surrounded by a group of thugs. They are attacking me, throwing stones at me. I move away, using whatever little strength I have left to try and escape, but I stand no chance. The second stone hits me hard on my back. It opens a large wound, it penetrates my skin like a bullet. So does the third stone, on the side of my stomach. In vain I beg for pity, but they are thirsty for blood and human suffering. They continue to stone me. I can now feel the stones inside my body. They don’t belong to there: they are foreign objects, pulsing and throbbing like cancerous tumours. They cause the most horrendous pains. I am now sobbing so loudly that I wake myself up. I stop. And I am suddenly silent in the still of the night.

I touch my face, wet with tears, I touch my temples, my neck, my chest, drenched with sweat. The night is still and silent. For a split second I think back to the busy passers-by in my dream. Maybe they are asleep too now, somewhere, dreaming sweet dreams. Some of them may still be striding along the same street now lit by the moon; or maybe they have moved to another city in a different time zone to continue their errands; or have simply gone into someone else’s dreams. Then, sending a shiver of fear along my spine, my mind goes back to the thugs. The fear soon dissolves. I am so relieved that they have gone back into the darkness, that they never existed, that it was only a bad dream.

My relief is short-lived, as I now come back fully to my senses, and wish I hadn’t. I remember that my existence is a living nightmare. I remember that I have metastatic cancer. This is not just a bad dream. I have tumours inside my body that feel indeed like foreign stones thrown at me by a vicious enemy. The nightmare is real. It does not end when I wake.

The pain is very real too and because of it I cannot sit up easily in the bed. I must do it nonetheless, in order to reach for the painkillers on my bedside table. I swallow two pills; they should soon ease the pain a little. I close my eyes, tears start flowing on my face again, like in the dream I just had; but I know that from this nightmare I am not going to wake up. I cry myself to sleep again.

Night of 13 September 2015.
Cancer patient.

18 comments:

  1. Francesco, I have been reading your blog for some time and this entry brought tears to my eyes. I'm so sorry you are going through this. Please know that I am thinking of you. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth. It is a very horrible time indeed for me. This short story I wrote accurately describes the nightmare I had a few nights ago, and my thoughts on waking up in the night. I have not invited or changed any details. It is just as raw as I experienced it. I just hope things are going to get a little easier, as the disease is hopefully controlled by the drugs. I appreciated your thoughts and support enourmosly. xx

      Delete
  2. Hi, you don't know me but I happen to be following your blog for some time now. I had melanoma 18 years ago but by chance I didn't develop anything nasty elsewhere. I'm just making 2 appointments a year for surveillance. My father didn't have the same luck and died this august after only 2 month battle against this beast. I didn't want to do any treatment... I'm very sorry of what you are going through and wish you the best and a working treatment for this horrible disease. I'm thinging of you very often
    (sorry for my english i'm from Geneva and speak french...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karima, thanks for your good wishes, I wish you to never have to deal with this horrible cancer again, other than for regular checks. I am very sorry about your father, this disease is cruel. Big hugs from London.

      Delete
  3. Hi Francesco
    I have shed so many tears for you, you are such a trooper ( Geordie speak) . I hope this dreadful nightmare will finish soon and you then can begin to get on with your life. We are all shouting for you
    Love from Ian Corrigan' s Mam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy, I will do my best to get better soon I promise, I miss my life so much, I feel like it has been stolen from me. Your son is such a good guy with a big heart, and we used to have such a laugh at work! I wish you and your family all the best in the world, and hopefully we will meet when I am better. Hugs. Francesco

      Delete
  4. I have had a similiar experience to yourself in 2015 in that I had an initial mole melanoma diagnosis followed very quickly by surgery owing to metastases in lymph nodes (neck dissection). I seem to be doing well following immunotherapy / radiotherapy but we are walking in the same shadow. I think you have dealt with your set-backs with honesty, dignity and courage and I hope that you can reestablish living life rather than surviving it soon. I'll be watching out for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, your good wishes mean a lot to me. Still fighting the fight hard. I wish you all the best. Hugs.

      Delete
  5. Hi, Francesco just wanted to know how you are? I'm thinking of you and hoping for the best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karima, unfortunately I am not well, I keep fighting with all my energy this horrible disease, the nightmare never ends. I will update my Blog soon, I know I have not been good at it recently. I have had some very low moments. But I am still very much alive and kicking. Thanks for thinking about me, take good care of you, warm hugs from me xx

      Delete
  6. Francesco, I think of you often. Keep on, my friend! I'm with you in spirit. Andrew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear man, your thoughts and wishes mean a lot to me. Look after yourself always. Big big hugs. xxxx

      Delete
  7. Hi Francesco. Hope everything is ok. I was just thinking of you and wanted to send you big hugs, kisses and all the courage you need to confront this dreadful beast.
    En pensées avec toi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Francesco, just thinking of you and wanting to hug you . Hope you are ok and defeating this cruel beast.
    Toutes mes meilleures pensées

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Francesco thinking of you everyday and sending you lots of hugs and courage to defeat this nasty beast. Je te tiens les pouces

    ReplyDelete
  10. i Francesco, I don't remember how I did last time to print a comment. It's the 10th that I send you and it never appears . Just wanted to send you big hugs and courage. Thinking of you every day..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karima, thank you so much for your messages. I really appreciate your thoughts and support. I keep fighting the fight, it is very very hard, they just changed my treatment, it's a lot to cope with after a year of constant war, I can hardly remember what it feels like to feel well... but I can only go ahead and pray that tomorrow will be a better day...

      Delete
  11. I am 29 years old and have been diagnosed with breast cancer, ease of treatment and a similar story, except for my first acceptance as a rejection of herbal medicine. I was not part of the Perseid movement and did not really build relationships with any of them, I just believed in their operation. I say this because it was during the use of Dr. Itua herbal medicine that I now attest that herbal medicine is real, the phytotherapy Dr. Itua heal my breast cancer which I suffered for 2 years. Dr. Itua herbal medicine is made of natural herbs, with no side effects, and easy to drink. If you have the same breast cancer or any type of human illness, including HIV / AIDS, herpes,Ovarian Cancer,Pancreatics cancer,bladder cancer, prostate cancer,  Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Stroke,Autism,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,Brain cancer,Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Intestinal cancer,Kidney cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Multiple myeloma,Neuroendocrine tumors,Hodgkin lymphoma,Oral cancer,Ovarian cancer,Sinus cancer,,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Testicular cancer,Throat cancer,Thyroid Cancer,Uterine cancer,Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancer.psoriasis ,Tach Diseases,Lupus,Endomertil Cancer, cerebrovascular diseases,
    Dementia.lung cancer,skin cancer,testicular Cancer,Lupus, , LEUKEMIA, VIRUSES, HEPATITIS, INFERTILITY WOMEN / MAN,CONTACT EMAIL / WHATSAPP:  Or  drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ +2348149277967

    ReplyDelete