Monday 3 November 2014

11. Fine Needle Aspiration (as storm clouds gather)

The Fine Needle Aspiration (FNA) is done at a radiology clinic in Harley street, which is also where the oncology centre that I attend is. I realised by now that Harley street is the heart of private medical health in London, with ultra posh clinics equipped with ultra modern technology hosted by imposing refurbished Georgian properties. The high ceilings, the solid wood doors and exposed beams, combined with the impeccably dressed and spoken staff and the fancy technology, they all makes you feel like you will get the best medical care out there… yet the overwhelming feeling for me is still the sense of sadness which I have always felt when I am around hospitals. Really I don’t like them, as posh as they may get. 

The clinic is modern and functional as expected, staff are friendly, I don't need to wait long until I am in the examination room. In my melanoma story, I think this is the first time that I am actually very nervous and anxious during a medical appointment. The procedure is explained to me, a fine needle will be introduced into the area of my neck showing the abnormal node to extract fluid. I will feel no more than a needle pinch and the procedure should not be painful. The area is likely to be left with some bruising. I think I am visibly nervous (am I slightly shaking?) when I lay down on the examination table. I feel like I must explain to the radiologist that I am totally cool with what he is doing, I trust him and I am not concerned at all by the procedure; that the reason why I am upset is that it has now pervasively dawned on me that the reason why the procedure is being done, the reason why I am there, is that there is the real possibility that I may have cancer in a lymph node. He says he understands. I mention my history of malignant melanoma and hence the immediate concerns the doctors and I had. He asks me when it was that I had the melanoma removed from my back; '5 months ago' I say. No answer on his side. The vicinity of the events is obviously suspicious. He asks me whether I have travelled to India recently (presumably there is some infection going on around India at the moment which affects the lymph nodes?). 'Sadly I haven't been to India' I say. He says that as I am otherwise healthy and fit, there is obviously more of a concern (in other words 'unfortunately' I don't look like I have any bugs or infection which would result in lymph node swelling), but we cannot know until we have the FNA results. There is also a nurse in the room, he asks me whether I want to hold on his hand, I say 'I won't say no, if it's on offer’.

The procedure takes about 20 or 25 minutes. The radiologist tells me he is going to take out additional fluid using a thicker needle so that the results of the biopsy will definitely be conclusive. I say ‘go for it’. Besides the FNA, the radiologist also performs an ultrasound scan of my neck, this does not reveal any further abnormalities other than the palpable swollen lymph node. I remember feeling quite relieved at this information, which he shares with me immediately. An ultrasound is a procedure that uses high frequency sound waves to create an image of part of the inside of the body. A gel is put onto your skin to allow a transducer to move smoothly. The transducer is connected to a computer and a monitor where structures of your body are displayed as an image. By the way I have made a note to spend some time in a future post talking about the various type of body scans as it took me some time to get my head round the terminology and what each scan consists in (e.g. CT Scan, PET Scan, MRI, Ultrasound). 

I come out of the procedure room and I am mentally exhausted (can you blame me?). My whatsapp is flooded with messages of friends asking how I went on. I start replying (I am generally very good at replying to messages quickly), then I realise that my brain is melting, I need to go out for some fresh air and a walk. 

The days following the FNA will prove very eventful and I will be on an emotional roller-coaster. This is not only because of the unfolding of the events connected with my melanoma which will now come thick and fast, but also because I had to face something that I had put off until now: tell my parents about it. About the real possibility that the cancer removed from my skin in January may have spread. Until now I had not said a word as I was living in this great uncertainty and I did not want them to worry unnecessarily. Given that they live in Italy, it was easy not to disclose my medical appointments. But as it happens, they were coming from Italy to London to visit me for a short summer break, so I would not be able to hide it anymore. I just prayed at this point that I could have some good news before I saw them, but unfortunately it did not work out this way and their arrival would coincide with the middle of the storm for me.
Just after the fine needle aspiration - 17 June 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment